Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital is Ireland’s major centre for Elective Orthopaedic Surgery. Cappagh has been the pioneer of Orthopaedic Surgery in Ireland and is now the biggest dedicated Orthopaedic Hospital in the country. Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital has 159 beds, catering for both public and private patients.
Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital is an independent Voluntary Hospital founded in 1908 under the care of the Sisters of Charity. It was once renowned for its ‘Open Air’ wards and for its surgical treatment of children with TB from the 1920s.
The hospital provides the full range of Orthopaedic Services including Major Joint Replacement (ankle, hip, knee, foot, shoulder, elbow and wrist), Spinal Surgery including corrective surgery for Scoliosis, Primary Bone Tumour Service, Paediatric Orthopaedics and the management of Sports Injuries.
In 2012, Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital established its’ dedicated Rehabilitation Unit, which delivers specialist rehabilitation services to patients following an acute medical episode with the aim of returning them to independent living where possible. The Unit has a total of 52 beds of which 42 are dedicated to people aged 65 years and over with the remaining 10 beds servicing the needs of patients aged under 65 years.
Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital is part of the Ireland East Hospital Group (IEHG). Comprising 11 hospitals, IEHG is Ireland’s largest hospital group, with University College Dublin (UCD) as its academic partner.